“Being healthy and fit encompasses not a rage or a trend. It is a lifestyle. It is wellness.”
A way of life oriented toward optimal health and well-being, in which body, mind, and spirit are integrated by the individual to live more fully within the human and natural community is called wellness according to Myers et al. (2000). Ideally, it is a superlative state of well-being that everyone can achieve. Here are 7 simple tips to start living with health and wellness:
1.) Drink Plenty
Drink half of your body weight in ounces of water every day. Drink between meals, and finish your fluids 2 hours before bed. Water helps to transport minerals in the body, therefore, when you are dehydrated, nutrients can’t go around so well. Fluid also helps to regulate body temperature through sweating. When you say drink, it doesn’t only pertain to water. It can also be supplemented by any form of nutritious liquid that can hydrate the body. Although, it is important to remember that too much sugar, caffeine and the artificial chemical is not advisable.
Alcohol beverages are not totally prohibited as long as in extreme moderation. However, it is not recommended that individuals who do not drink alcohol start drinking for any reason.
2.)Eat Healthy Foods
Diet does not mean abstinence from having the meal. Diet, when you refer to health, means balance nutrient consumption. Six major components of balance meal are proteins, fats, carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals, and waters. Each among this components has a vital function in our body. So when you say you’re on diet, it does not means you’re just drinking waters and eating fruits. That was a totally different thing. Some tips to consider are eating lean meats instead of fatty one, do not avoid fats, sodium, and cholesterol but eat them with high moderation. You need calorie and carbohydrate because those are the best source of energy. It only becoming unhealthy when you consume too much of what you can actually burn.
3.) Exercise Just Enough
There ‘s a notion that exercise is a very physical and tiring activity. Other says, that working out harder gain higher in terms of fitness. However, exercising too much with no adequate time for rest may cause injuries. Muscle grows and cell regenerates only during the rest period.Without recovery, nothing about the workout will be worth it. Remember also that there are several forms of exercise depends upon your needs. If you’re to develop:
- “Strength“, which you wanted to make your muscle stronger, you call it strength exercise. The basic task can actually increase strength and carry out a big difference in your ability to stay independent activities, such as climbing stairs and carrying groceries. They are called “strength training” or “resistance training.” The workout that best fits this goal is lifting the weight, using your own body weight and using the resistant band. I also recommend the help of the professional trainer in identifying the perfect programs that suit individuals.
- Balance exercise is also one form of workout that being identified.From its context, basically, this workout is intended to develop lower body strength that will draw a good balance. Simple activities that can be associated to this are standing on one foot, heel-to-toe walk and tai chi.
- Flexibility, or stretching, exercises give you more freedom of movement for your physical activities and for everyday activities such as getting dressed and reaching objects on a shelf. Stretching exercises can improve your flexibility, but they will not improve your strength or endurance. Activities are Yoga, full arm stretching, calf stretching.
- If you’re an athlete or inclined to different physical activities, you probably need exercise that workout endurance.This is the type of workout that keep your heart, lungs, and circulatory system healthy and improve your overall fitness. Building your endurance makes it easier to carry out many of your everyday activities. You can do brisk walking, jogging, dancing (any form of your choice) or even yard work of at least an hour or two, three times a week. Not bad for a career person.
“Don’t be impatient and end expecting to gain the result right away. It will take time and consistency “. Just do enough. Enough means activities that will not impair your daily routine. Remember that the purpose of working out is to be healthy and not to be a punishment to oneself.
4.) Sleep and Nap
Sleep is essential for a person’s health and wellbeing. Individual sleep needs vary. In general, most healthy adults are built for 16 hours of wakefulness and need an average of eight hours of sleep a night. However, some individuals are able to function without sleepiness or drowsiness after as little as six hours of sleep. Others can’t perform at their peak unless they’ve slept ten hours. And, contrary to common myth, the need for sleep doesn’t decline with age but the ability to sleep for six to eight hours at one time may be reduced. (Van Dongen & Dinges, Principles & Practice of Sleep Medicine, 2000)
But how to get a good sleep? Listed below are some of the tips based on research:
- Have a regular sleep/wake schedule
- Reduce noise, light and too hot and cold temperatures on the bedroom.
- Avoid drinking or eating too much caffeine four to six hours before bed
- Refrain from smoking, especially near bedtime or if you wake in the night
- Avoid alcohol and heavy meals before sleep
- Practice waking up without an alarm clock
- Attempt to go to bed earlier every night for certain period; this will ensure that you’re getting enough sleep.
- Take a nap during break time.
5.) Be Happy
Right now, I am reading a book entitled “The Happiness Project” written by Gretchen Rubin which I would like to recommend. At first, I was hesitant to start reading that book because it arouses my defense mechanism by rationalizing why should I need that book when in fact I’m claiming that I am happy. But as I go along, I am started to get engaged and committed. Bottom line, that book is highly recommended.
From the scientific prospective, happiness physiology is affected by several hormones with unique functions.Serotonin is sometimes called the happiness hormone. Serotonin regulates the mood. This can be released by getting exposed to sunlight, by eating foods rich in carbohydrates and by exercise. Endorphins can make you feel good, reduce your anxiety and your sensitivity to pain. This can be released by doing physical activities.Dopamine helps you to feel mentally alert.This can be released by eating foods that are rich in protein. Ghrelin is a hormone that reduces stress. this can be satisfied by eating and according to some, low ghrelin is the caused of “stress eating”.
How to be happy?, Here are some suggestions:
- Happiness starts when we decided to be happy.
- Talk to yourself and start now
- Say something good about yourself before you go up in bed in the morning and before you sleep at night.
- Tell to yourself, that today you will be happy no matter what.
- Be grateful.
6.) Control Your Mind
The brain is the command center of the body, therefore it is important to maintain it healthy and so as our thinking.
In the New Thought philosophy, the law of attraction is the belief that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts a person brings positive or negative experiences into their life.They believe that worry, fear, stress or other negative thoughts make people sick, while positive thoughts of wellness or love can keep people healthy and even cure illnesses.
The researcher also claims that an important to maintain health and of cure illness is to be able to think yourself as being healthy which I personally practice.
7. ) Stay Connected to Him
According to the Scripture, Hebrew 2:1-3
“1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.3 Through faith, we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.”
We will be the loss as far as this world brings us. But no matter where it is, we will always go back longing for Him. For we are nothing without Him. And no matter how far our resentment draws us, stay connected. Do not disconnect ourselves to Him. Find a way back.
- Pray faithfully and sincerely.
- Refuse to allow the things of the world—material possessions, career position, sinful pursuits, ungodly relationships or social standing—to eat away at your time with God. Get His Word into your heart so deeply that no one else’s opinion is important. Stop compromising.
- Accept His Love.Rufus Moseley, a great man of God who went to heaven some years ago, once said, “Life in Jesus is gloriously easy. It has one responsibility: the responsibility of remaining in the union. If you stay in union with Him, He’ll take care of everything else.”
When you incorporate these steps into your life, staying connected to God is delightfully simple. You’re able to keep that vital connection and trust Him to take care of everything else.
Health and Wellness are something that everyone is capable of having. It’s dimensional but never complicated as it looks like. It reflects how one feels about life, branded by a sense of well-being that optimally functioning. It is an act of accepting health enhancing values.
So why not start one today?